Fingerprint (biometric) authentication fails at the screen requesting a Pre-boot or Pre-windows authentication.
To access the machine, use your System password for authentication
During enrollment for Pre-boot/Pre-Windows authentication, a System password is created. To authenticate without biometrics, select Esc (escape key) then type in the System password.
If an Admin password has been set it can be substituted for the System password.
Clear your System password from within the BIOS to disable Pre-boot/Pre-Windows authentication.
1. Reboot the machine and press F2 at the Dell BIOS Splash Screen.
2. Enter the System or Admin Password to access the BIOS settings.
3. Navigate to Security > Passwords.
4. Select System Password. Enter the old System password, leave the new password fields blank and select OK.
5. The System Password status will change to ‘Not Set’.
6. Repeat the previous steps for Hard Drive Password if one is set.
7. If you accessed the machine with the BIOS Admin password and the System password is unknown:
a) Select Admin Password.
b) Select Unlock; enter the Admin password and OK.
c) Enter the old Admin password, leave the new password fields blank and select OK.
d) The Admin and System Password status will change to ‘Not Set’.
8. Exit the BIOS settings and boot into Windows. Pre-boot authentication is now disabled.
NOTE: The BIOS System password is required to remove the Pre-Boot authentication login.
If the System or Admin BIOS Password is Unknown:
If the System or Admin password is unknown and authentication to your computer with biometrics fails, you will need to contact Dell Support at 1-800-873-1420 in order to have a master password generated.
Please inform Dell that the BIOS password is not being accepted and request a reset. The master password provided will allow the computer to be accessed and the System/Admin password(s) to be reset.
If you purchased your system used and it came with the BIOS password set, you will need to transfer ownership of the system before you contact Dell.
Step 3: (Optional)
Re-enroll biometrics for Pre-boot / Pre-Windows using EMBASSY Trust Suite, Dell ControlPoint or Dell Data Protection|Access
If the information provided above did not resolve your issue or you have any additional questions, please complete our Support Request Form